The city of La Grange was established in 1827 when the county seat was relocated at Major William Berry Taylor’s suggestion from Westport. It was named La Grange for the estate of General Lafayette of France who had visited the area in 1824. For some unknown reason, the county seat once again returned to Westport in 1828 where it remained until 1838 when it was once again relocated to La Grange. On January 23, 1840, La Grange was incorporated as a city.
*Information from Wikipeda
*Picture from Wikipedia